Gardening in the winter?

• 2 replies
Gardening in the winter?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:09:37 PM »
I am new to NY, and miss my garden in California. A friend of mine that was involved with Gureilla Gardening in LA told me to look into groups here to get my hands in the dirt.
 I was curious if there are any groups that get together in the winter. Is that even possible (forgive me, I grew up in Florida and then spent 6 years in California so I am foreign to snowy winters).
Also-- are there groups that plant vegetables for the community here-- sustainable farms within the city? I spent some time in Detroit and I know of a few farms built on vacant lots-- obviously a different landscape than NY, but was not sure if this was going on here too.
Let me know what to do or where to look! Greatly appreciated!

-Amy

Re: Gardening in the winter?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2009, 04:45:13 AM »
I don't know of many vegetable gardens specifically, but I know they're out there.  The tricky part seems to be getting a lot that you can have steady enough access to to grow (and harvest) vegetables.  Have you had any luck since you first posted this?

I'm getting started by focusing on planting anything that I can in the lots near my place, which I don't have real access to...

Re: Gardening in the winter?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »
I'm just getting involved in the community now, but one thing I can suggest for the winter is getting your nursery started inside so that when spring comes you have plants ready to transplant out doors. I'm doing a mixture of seeds and cuttings for mine.