Plotting and scheming

• 6 replies
Plotting and scheming
« on: September 24, 2008, 06:37:01 AM »
Sometime soon we'll be having a dig here (click for google maps).

In our council area there aren't a lot of dead bits of land, but the areas which are used could be used more, for example on a 15m x 4m nature strip in front of a house there may be just one tree about 2m wide, where there could easily be three.

So rather than finding dead corners we're going for taking existing vegetation and expanding from it. Along the railway is a good prospect because it can be a bit bleak there, and already on the west of the map there's a small reserve, so people may assume what we plant is just an extension of that. And there's a path for people to cycle or walk down so it'd be nice to liven it up, and give some shade in what can be quite hot summers.

• Eucalyptus decipiens, grows up to 12m I think
  • Melaleuca decipiens, broad-leaved paperbark, 10+m
  • Olive leccino, up to 10m normally, this is an oilseed variety, the table-eating olive varieties don't seem to be available in Victoria
  • Callistemon x2, these are technically shrubs but grow 2-3m high and wide if you let them so really I'd call them "trees".

I figured if I picked nice big natives then first up they wouldn't stand out as having been guerillaed in, and second even if the council or locals noticed, there'd be a big noise if they wanted to cut them down. And this area is chockers with Greeks so nobody will complain about olive trees - already some people have put them in the nature strips in front of their houses.

I have teed up a mate to help me since I already helped him put garden beds in. I may put one or two of the trees in our own front yard or nature strip, but at least 3 will go along that railway. We plan to do this sort of thing once a month, wish us luck!
greenwithagun - permaculture, democracy, and a future for the world

Re: Plotting and scheming
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
Oh, good plan! <cheering wildly> I particularly like the idea of guerilla olive trees - as one of the early, original foods of mankind it is something special.

Three months ago or less, I planted a kalamata olive in my backyard where it wouldn't shade the veggies, and it is still only a 40cm twig sticking up out of the earth, but already at every leaf-junction, little buds are forcing their way out! Hooray! Olives in its first season! I've never known another species of fruit tree to be so quick into production.

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »
Where did you get the kalamata from? All I can find are the oil varieties, not the table-eating ones.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 10:28:28 AM »
I got it from the local Aldi's store. They had two varieties: one whose name wasn't familiar to me so I immediately forgot it (probably an oil variety), and hte kalamata, so I grabbed-it-quick. And now it's flowering! Gotta take a picture, remind me when it's daylight.

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 10:37:01 AM »
Here I post evidence of my crimes!

[see attachment]

We planted out the callistemon on my own nature strip - technically GG, but barely counts, honestly - and in my front yard which I share in common with two neighbours. The paperbark, eucalypt and olive went by the railway. The two natives went between the railway and the path by it, so that in years to come they'll shade the people walking along. The olives went on the other side to cheer passing Greeks.

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 06:14:47 AM »
Sunshine station (Sydenham line) is a major hub but the areas around it (outside the station on Public space) are just dead and barren land.. d'you reckon we could help liven it up?? It just looks like a delicious GG spot... many spots actually!

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
Sunshine station (Sydenham line) is a major hub but the areas around it (outside the station on Public space) are just dead and barren land.. d'you reckon we could help liven it up?? It just looks like a delicious GG spot... many spots actually!
Nice I think I'll look into attacking this location with my slow growing panda plants, They look cool. I planted one in Moonee Ponds and it got stolen when I checked on it but the others are just fine :)