Where To Find Clay For Seed Bombs?

• 7 replies
Where To Find Clay For Seed Bombs?
« on: September 06, 2008, 01:23:36 AM »
I'd like to make seed bombs, but I have no idea where to find clay. Any suggestions? I've never seen it at a store.

Re: Where To Find Clay For Seed Bombs?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:44:08 AM »
check art and pottery supply firms.  Maybe check with schools or evening colleges where they get their supply from...  ??  hope this helps.

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:31:45 PM »
Or even just clay-based soil from around your area (soil that sticks together when squished - sand-based and loam-based soils fall apart again).

Pure clay, as opposed to clay-based soils, may harden with driness, and make it difficult for tha seeds to escape and germinate. So, a ball of seeds-in-sticky-soil?

llj71

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »
If you live in California than finding dry red clay in an art supply store might be difficult. I have been to numerous art supply stores in the Los Angeles and Orange County area and the stores don't carry it. The people that work in them have never heard of it either. 
There is a low amount of toxins in dry clay and it seems my state controls the sale of it. If you do find the stuff it might be smart to wear a mask when mixing it in its dry form.

willie wit

• /soil is analog/
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »
Look out for people having house extensions / garages built or drains being relaid - clay is often dug up when the footings are being dug out  ending up on the skip as the hole is then filled in with concrete,
 8)

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »
Or even just clay-based soil from around your area (soil that sticks together when squished - sand-based and loam-based soils fall apart again).

Pure clay, as opposed to clay-based soils, may harden with driness, and make it difficult for tha seeds to escape and germinate. So, a ball of seeds-in-sticky-soil?

Nice one. I've got a garden full of this stuff  ;D

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 04:47:58 PM »
When I first made some I came her to find out where to get the red clay, and at that time there was noone who had a contact. And in the UK i found this great guy Bill Todd -  from Sedgefield Pottery Supplies, who sold me 2 kilos of red clay.

A very speedy sending too, so I thought I'd come back here and let others know about this.

His email is Mr.W.R.Todd <wrtodd@tiscali.co.uk>

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:55 PM »
i live near lake michigan an there are alot of natural clay pits in the area... i will have reports no later than next spring about this grey clay!