Bamboo!!!

• 6 replies
Bamboo!!!
« on: August 29, 2008, 01:03:09 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I am here to make a difference and I have been brain storming.  So I was thinking to myself that there are spots all over the place where there is nothing planted but grass right.  Why is that bad?  Well, first we have to pay someone to mow that grass, second they have to drive to that location to mow (carbon outlay) thirdly, they mow that area (carbon outlay), fourthly they have to drive back (carbon outlay.)

So there are Four negitives to growing nothing but grass!

Next point, we know that bamboo provides more co2 conversion to oxygen over the same square footage of trees!  That is because Bamboo grows so fast, and closer together; it is resilent stuff and grows very easily.  Within three years bamboo can spread greatly both vertically and horizontally.  After three years of a tree growing it might be a couple feet tall. 

So planting bamboo would be a much better use of our resources.  Not only that, but bamboo really is beautiful isn't it.  And it provides lots of shade for people and buildings.  It can cover up eye sores and makes everything more brillant because of the color.  It grows thick so it provides both a security barrier and also a noise barrier as well.

For all of these reasons I have come to the conclusion that I want to start trying to plant bamboo in areas that can take it.  There are many places around highways and over and underpasses where this would really excel.

I realize that some people think bamboo is an evasive plant.  There is truth to that, and at the same time if you plant it in the right spots it could add much beauty to our environments.  I have been scouting out many spots as I have been driving around my city and I see many opportunities.  I hope to get a digital camera and share some pictures of places that it would be great!

Between now and then, what does everyone think?!

Phoenix

Re: Bamboo!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 01:10:41 AM »
While I agree that there could be some surreptitious bamboo planting, it is important to remember that there are two types of bamboo: clumping and running. The running varieties are very invasive and can travel for long distances underground and even break up concrete. Once it has taken hold it is a major hassle to get rid of. Bamboo only rarely goes to seed, but if a running variety set seed down here it could cause real problems. So, I would say look at the clumping varieties if you are going to plant any.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »
You know, I just joined yesterday but I'd read this post and wonders of wonders as I drove this morning I saw a patch of bamboo along 57th Ave in North Miami Dade. I don't know if this is the work of the original poster but I smiled.

Actually, the idea isn't too bad if the bamboo used is clumping to honor adamold's fear.  There are many canals and waterways here in South Florida that could definately use this bamboo idea, especially near our major highways. For example the turnpike has many canals that run along side it bamboo might help to reduce the emmissions and noise from these major highways.

I will admit though I like the aesthetics limb thick versions of bamboo the most.
In Fearful day in Raging Night
With Strong Hearts full our Souls Ignite
When All Seems Lost in the War of Light
Look to the Stars Hope Burns Bright

Gadrel

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 03:08:20 PM »
  Well bamboo can be invasive to a point, it is sometimes over blown. Yes it can run...BUT....if anybody looks at a map of Florida (or any state for that matter) there is NO patch of land that just goes on and on. It is ALL broken into a grid of squares all divided by roads, canals, developements etc that will stop it's seemingly infinite spread. All it can do is form colonies like many other plants like Locust, Aspens, Sassafras etc. As far as seeding goes, if you remember your biology Bamboos only seed after many decades. Remember when it flowered and died about 15 years ago in China and threatened the Panda's? That is a once a century occurence so the possibility of it seeding all over the place is nil. Then I hear the accusation that it "Does not provide wildlife habitat"...BULL! There is a clump near the end of the parking lot where I work. In the evenings there are so many birds gathering into it to roost it looks like it is alive, and the sound from all the birds is so loud it sounds like a the soundtrack of the movie "The Birds". The birds fill the clump with nests of many different species, like a bird condo. I guess because it is hard for predators like cats or coons to climb the slick, wobbly canes.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »
Sorry guys, I must disagree.
The problem for invasive species is well known and I am not going to debate it. We all understand the consequences of it. Now: whether or not it spreads fast or not, that is not the issue. The point is that it takes the place for local flora that is part of our bio-habitat.

I must advocate therefore for local plants that:

1. are used to the climate
2. are part of the bio-cycle (feeding and housing local fauna)
3. do not require watering etc (if planted in the right place)

...I could go on.

Mind you: I love bamboo, but not in South Florida.

CJ

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010, 03:06:54 PM »
There is always a time and a place. South Florida's wild areas are under unrelenting invasion by non natives. It would be counter intuitive to work so hard to remove the pest then contribute to more invasive plants.

However, consider this thought....

Bamboo (non running) has a place in an urban permaculture garden. It can serve as a windbreak, noise dampener, visual shield. It can also contribute to gardening stakes, pole bean towers, fences. Plus, young shoots of several types are non only edible but delicious (helping contain the spread). The leaves contribute to composting when harvested. The uses of bamboo are limited only by imagination.

Secondary note...I saw stands of Bamboo in Haiti post the quake,  with no local use being applied. I suggest that culturally "we" may do well to learn and distribute skills of using such a renewable and sustainable plant. Such skills can begin here in South Florida.

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2010, 06:47:55 PM »
I love the look of bamboo and I have several plantings of it in different parts of my garden. I have to agree though that's it's very difficult to get rid of. The variety I have doesn't run and it doesn't really spread out or grow that quickly but the roots are an impenetrable mass to dig out. I gave some bamboo to my sister for her garden and digging it up was a real challenge. I does look very attractive though.

----------------------
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 09:43:01 PM by buddliabill »