latest recruit starting up

• 4 replies
latest recruit starting up
« on: August 19, 2008, 08:57:16 PM »
Well, in my regional area no one replied when I sang out for people in my area (which doesn't really surprise me - the community spirit around here is astounding), so I guess I'm all alone in the world <pout>.

I'm also terminally broke, being unemployed AND having just had my car explode on me (cars theoretically being good for the acquisition of work and therefore money).

At the moment I'm living on rice and split-peas, so there's no money around for gardening supplies. But it's given me time to think. And I've decided that every piece of guerilla-gardening I do in the foreseeable future, will be recognisably themed.

When I picked up the wrec- ... er, the Mighty Chariot from the repair yard, I asked them to shove into the back (it's a station wagon) as many of the bald, dead tyres lying around in their yard waiting to be dumped as possible - I was thinking my own backyard, to grow things like kumera and ginger and other tubers above-ground.

However, I might just keep most of the stockpile, and when I have a few dollars buy a spraycan of gold enamel paint, and spraypaint tyres gold, place them on the ground, fill them with potting mix, and plant into them as above-ground planters in public places.

Once I also have ten dollars or so for a sack of compost and a few plants, I'm planning on attacking the so-called grassy verge (actually, a narrow strip of neglected weeds and mud recently torn up by an unroaded car) near my local bus stop between the concrete footpath and the brick fence in front of the businesses there: if I'd found friends a combined effort could have cultivated it all, but the ground here is hard and I'm weak, so I think on this ruined, unregarded strip of land I'll place a snazzy, gold car tyre filled with soil, and plant a prostrate rosemary, some thyme and maybe a cutting off my fig or elder trees to grow into a centrepiece. It's only a hundred metres or so from home, so I'll be able to carry a watering-can of water and worm-wee down there until things are obviously off'n'flying. It's a sad little strip of land - I'd like to see it looking a bit more cheerful. All it will take is a small amount of money and a bit of time - I have one, I'm sadly lacking the other.

As my economic situation gets better, I can just see little gold-tyre-mini-gardens springing up haphazardly all over the Central Coast, a fruit tree or a macadamia nut tree as the centrepiece, and low-growing or prostrate herbs as the "instant green". I actually have some fertile macadamia nuts that are *not* in the house to be eaten, but to be germinated, so that's a goal for my guerilla work.

I *love* a bit of subversion occasionally ...

Re: latest recruit starting up
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 10:49:08 AM »
Yes! I have my car back (whether it can stand a trip down the road is another matter), I have invested in some bags of cheap but quality potting mix, I have a truck tyre (as a raised bed-edge), I have six punnets of herbs, leafy veggies and florals (achillea, actually a healing herb too) which I'll divide between my veggie patch at home and my target area: tomorrow I get a spraycan to glam up the tyre/planter and I go on my first knowing guerilla-gardening outing! (okay, I've done it before, but not for a while, and I didn't know what I was doing). I can't wait. I also have a source of cuttings and unwanted hydrangeas offered to me for next week, too, so I'm already starting to think where else a gold tyre-shaped planter spontaneously appearing would be a good idea.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »
WELL!? how it went??
any photos? did you get any recruits in the mission?

Hope so, its ok to be alone but it?s more fun to have complices, isn?t it?  ;D

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »
Went okay! I decided to do the Broad Daylight thing rather than the closet gardener thing,, I planted in a raised bed defined by a golden car tyre (filled with compost) near a local bus stop and had only two people stop and comment: one a lovely old lady and the other a grumpy old man. I took photos and wrote up a full report, which Richard has said he'll post in the front page's "Troop Digs" link next time he updates it. I can't really steal his thunder by writing it up here, when it will be in glorious technicolour soon enough ...

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »
haha nice  ;D looking forward to see those photos and get inspired..