Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 08:47:13 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  USA
| | |-+  California
| | | |-+  Los Angeles
| | | | |-+  Fullerton Arboretum salvia sale 9/6 and 9/7
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fullerton Arboretum salvia sale 9/6 and 9/7  (Read 3201 times)
llj71
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:34:02 PM »

From their website. They also have a cactus/succulent sale coming up in December. It's a great way to pick up some cheap and pretty drought resistant plants.

The annual Salvia Spectacular returns to the Fullerton Arboretum September 6 & 7, 2008, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The Potting Shed will present a ?Salvia Spectacular?, featuring more than 130 salvia species and varieties for sale. According to the author Betsy Clebsch, ?Salvia is derived from the latin word salvare, "to heal," and for centuries salvias have been valued for their medicinal and culinary qualities. Salvias, commonly known as sages, grow throughout temperate and subtropical parts of the world, from sea level to altitudes of more than 11,000 feet (3400 meters). They occur in many forms: perennial, biennial, annual herbs, and evergreen or deciduous shrubs.?

For salvia enthusiasts and gardeners interesting in expanding their gardens, the Potting Shed will feature several unusual varieties. Examples include the Saliva africana-lutea, This beautiful and unusual Sage has rusty orange flowers on a 3 to 5 foot tall, bushy plant. Another is the Salvia chionophylla, also called snowflake sage, which is a superb Chihuahuan native, plus is a relative of the wonderful Saliva chamaedroiydes. This is a 4" high ground cover that also looks great in hanging baskets. Also, the Salvia ?Indigo Spires?, which is one of the most dependable butterfly magnets you can grow with violet flower spikes that can reach 1 ft or more.

The sale will run from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Admission is free. Check this page again for updates on the 2008 sale.
bulbil321
Troop

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 01:28:59 AM »

I went to the cactus and succulent show sale last year. The plants for sale are mainly "show" type plants. There were lots of plants but the majority are not the best for guerrilla gardening. I bought as more plants from the arboretum nursery which has more plants suitable for guerrilla gardening and they're for sale there all the time.
Scott
AKA bulbil321
bulbil321@socalguerrillagardening.org

llj71
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 04:16:05 PM »

Thanks for letting me know about the cactus/succulent sale Scott.
I will check out the salvia since I am having more luck with that then many of the succulents I planted. Hopefully it will not be show quality $50 plants!

bulbil321
Troop

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 03:38:03 AM »

There will be some plants for sale going for over $100. But there will be plenty of plants over under $10. I know one seller with plants for $1 or $2. It's great to check out the plants in the show and then go out to the and look for the ones I really liked. If you go be sure to check out their great garden.
Scott
AKA bulbil321
bulbil321@socalguerrillagardening.org

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length