Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2017, 02:00:19 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  UK
| | |-+  Scotland
| | | |-+  Some Useful Stuff for Glasgow Guerrillas+ Some for the Rest of Scotland
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Some Useful Stuff for Glasgow Guerrillas+ Some for the Rest of Scotland  (Read 3188 times)
Clairwil
Troop

« on: July 31, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »

Glasgow City Council has been running the Clean Glasgow initiative for the last couple of years. Their emphasis is on encouraging people to pick up litter, report flytipping and keep their area clean. Although it doesn't go as far as encouraging Guerrilla Gardening it could be useful to anyone thinking of starting work on a neglected patch and is a think well worth getting involved with not least for the free equipment and high viz 'Clean Glasgow' ponchos (good cover for later guerrilla gardening). It's also a good way to get land cleared of the nasty stuff before you start to garden, meeting other possibly like minded people in the community and gaining support / help for your own projects.

Quite apart from the above it's main aims of encouraging people to take ownership of their neighbourhood, instill local pride, reduce the fear of crime throughout the city, and deliver lasting improvements in local environmental quality are not dissimilar to those of the Guerrilla Gardener.

For people in other parts of Scotland this might be helpful;
www.keepscotlandbeautiful.org/index.asp?pg=12

I have no idea if this might offer a source of cheap plants and seeds but it's being held in a beautiful part of Scotland and is worth a visit for that alone. The Logan Plant Fair is on the 24th of August at Logan Botanic Garden, Port Logan, Dumfries and Galloway DG9 9ND
www.rbge.org.uk.  If that isn't enough to tempt you it's not far from the Port Logan Inn -a lovely family run pub overlooking a white sandy beach.

Finally a spy in the West End of Glasgow informs me that the planters at Woodlands Rd have seen better days. I couldn't commit to their regular upkeep but I'd be very keen to help anyone interested get started and provide periodic assistance. I have also located a spot in the Dumbreck area which would be good for a bit of illicit vegetable cultivation -it's not at all unpleasant at present but it's large and quiet enough to host a a small vegetable garden. Should anyone be interested in getting together and oraganising a dig do let me know clairwil123@hotmail.com

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length