D/FW

• 19 replies
D/FW
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:08:59 PM »
Thought I'd start up a thread for D/FW. Boy, do we need help!!!

If you want to join me let me know, I'll be posting links/projects as soon as the heat abates.
raising geekiness to an art form!

Re: D/FW
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
I am in Plano and I am totally interested. I have some solo projects that I hope to get started soon, but I would love to join others on getting something going.

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 02:03:59 AM »
Greetings. I found this forum and would like to contribute or support the effort if possible. While I am not as young as I once was, I could contribute plants perhaps and whatever else is needed to create some guerilla gardens. Dallas needs all we can get in that regard. 
Keep me posted. :)

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 11:53:54 AM »
Hey there,
I am interested in your efforts for gardening in Dallas...where in Dallas have you begun planting?

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2008, 01:31:44 AM »
Arlington family ready to help.  Might have a potential place that needs some TLC in Downtown Fort Worth (Berry and 35 area).  The location is an Outpatient Drug and Alcohol treatment center that is desperate for some life!

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 04:54:06 AM »
Count me in and I like the 35 and Berry idea. That whole area is in dire need.

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 07:05:21 PM »
My apologies. What with working for the election and some other things going on in my life, this has had to take a back seat but I'm ready to start now (and it's the perfect time for planting, too).

I'm in N. Dallas area, which would include Richardson, Plano, etc.  I found a place where we can meet near downtown Allen that will be supportive of our efforts. This is Coffee and Beyond at the NE corner of Greenville and Main, across from the Cici's pizza, and we can meet there on Friday evenings. They will not charge us for anything--meeting room, coffee, etc. as they run entirely on donations.

If you're interested come by any Friday after 6:00 p.m. They've given me a key so we can stay late if necessary.

VanillaGorilla

• Dogs and Plants baby
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 10:43:30 PM »
Anyone interested in car pooling? I'm currently without a DL and have been in trouble for driving without it, but I've got tons of free time and the will to work, and the love of gardening.

I really like the 35 and Berry idea too. I'm in Bedford, so it's not that far. the HEB area's fairly well planted but there are a few spots I'm considering hitting up

There are tons of areas in Arlington and Grand Prairie that desperately need some love, and I'd love to help.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 02:45:45 AM »
This site was featured on the national evening news  on April 29 09 and that's how I found out about it.

I live in the Plano area, and our neighborhood has two huge grassy knolls on either side of it's main entrance.  I've always thought it would be  a great place for a garden.  Town West neighborhood, Eagle Pass and Spring Creek Parkway, right across from Clark High School.  I bet we could get cheap labor from the students there.

I have also been thinking about something I have called the "Free Garden Project".  It is basically a small-scale grass-roots co-op, where volunteers would use people's vast expanses of bermuda grass with productive vegetable gardens.  Homeowners would allow project staff to come on to their property unobtrusively and prepare and tend a garden plot.  Homeowners supply the water and the odd bit of electrical power, and in return get a share of the garden.  I started a proposal to present to the City to get a grant or at least permission, and fund it with donations and sales of the produce at local markets.

Homeowners get to contribute a bit more oxygen to the atmosphere, kill a little bermuda grass (always a good thing), put some of the HUGE amounts of water we waste on our lawns to better use, and everybody benefits.  Ideally, weeding and watering trips would be done by people close enough to bicycle to.  Get it big enough and it starts getting efficient with the gas-powered trips such as harvesting, roto-tilling doing whole areas in a day.

The entire business plan is in my head, partially written down, and there are a lot of things I didn't mention here.  My wife has always been vehemently opposed to pursuing this because she doesn't want to get saddled with all the work.  She's still spending a lot of time wondering what kind of thesis she could do for her Master Gardener certification.  Maybe someone else has the same vision and might wanna help or contribute to this idea?

The response to a deaf City of Plano ear would of course to just do it anyway, and do it on public vs. private property.

I hate to ask but has anyone been arrested for Guerilla Gardening?  Only the stuffiest and backwards of law enforcement would punish such good deeds as GG, but never underestimate the power of human narrow-mindedness, or just good ol' fear of responsibility.

Opinions, laughter, death threats?
Thanks

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2009, 05:02:14 AM »
I love this idea and would love to help out when I can   ;D

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 10:24:24 PM »
Hey! I would love to be a part of this! I'm in the DeSoto/Duncanville area (south Dallas). Just let me know & I'm there.

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 03:47:43 AM »
Hey guys!! I only discovered what guerrilla gardening was about a year ago. I was telling my dear significant other how I just wanted to plant flowers and vegetables and plants everywhere, and he informed me that what I wanted to do was, indeed, guerrilla gardening!
So I am so super excited to find that there is a community for this!

My boyfriend is in the Allen area, and I'm in Richardson/Plano. If you guys are still getting together, are want to, please let me know!!
:)
My e-mail is prayerposition36@aol.com, and my number is 352-283-5208.

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 04:01:49 PM »
the last post in here was in august is anything still going on in dallas? I'm coming home for christmas and would love to help out!

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 04:44:41 PM »
OK, sorry, sometimes life gets in the way.

I am willing to reserve a small room at the public library in Carrollton if anyone is interested. We can meet there to plan and figure out where we are going from there. If we can make it a Saturday or Sunday afternoon then I think that will probably work best for everyone, and a study room that seats six people can be reserved for up to four hours at no charge.

I propose the fourth Sunday in January at 3 p.m., if there are some replies I will reserve the room, or if someone has another time that is more popular, that works too.

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 07:00:16 PM »
Wow, this is amazing!

Would love to lend a hand to any projects  in the N. Dallas, Richardson, Plano area... might have some ideas.  ;D

#214-242-9707 ask for Eco, or leave a message :)

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »
Oh, btw!  If anyone needs some straw fed horse manure for composting I know where anyone can get some free of charge and chemicals!! It comes from a ranch out in Rockett (yikes I know, but its worth it!)

Let me know if you want more details  ;)

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2013, 02:40:57 AM »
Arlington family ready to help.  Might have a potential place that needs some TLC in Downtown Fort Worth (Berry and 35 area).  The location is an Outpatient Drug and Alcohol treatment center that is desperate for some life!
Hey, I'm in kennedale. First time on this but would love to get involved. Just let me know where and when and what I need to bring. You can count on me and my two kids to help

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 12:49:12 AM »
I'm in North Arlington and our complex (not the best) has dug up and filled in the pool ... leaving a giant dirt plot that they aren't going to do anything but let grow over with weeds... This was my first thought when they did it but with little extra income I don't know where to begin to plant a garden! Open to help and suggestions!

Scoresby

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 09:13:40 AM »
Gather your neighbours and do it together :)

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2015, 06:54:23 PM »
I agree with scorseby!