Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 06:18:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the GuerrillaGardening.org Community, a place for guerrillas and wannabe guerrillas from around the world. Enlist with a username and password to share your guerrilla gardening plans, activity and advice. Find support or just go for it solo, sow the seed and get something growing. Click here to return to the home page: www.GuerrillaGardening.org

You can also connect with people at the GuerrillaGardening.org Facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/guerrillagardening

TIP: To get alerts to replies to your messages click PROFILE then click "Look and Layout Preferences" on the left hand side menu. There is a check box to get alerts, and a check box to see recent posts at the top.

+  guerrillagardening.org
|-+  Regional Boards
| |-+  USA
| | |-+  California
| | | |-+  Los Angeles
| | | | |-+  Downtown LA project
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Downtown LA project  (Read 3430 times)
quietearth
Troop

« on: July 26, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

OK...... The first GG planting in downtown LA is scheduled:

Friday August 1st
8pm till 9pm
Northeast corner of 3rd and Main Streets.

Right on the corner are three raised planters. Two have trees growing, but the third one is empty. It's 10 feet in diameter, and has yellow sandy hard soil. We'll be planting drought-resistant goodies: cactus, succulents, jade plants, rosemary, etc. The idea is to start everything from cuttings gleaned from nearby community gardens, though you're welcome to bring your own.

Bring any of these that you have: a shovel, a pick, your hands, a gallon of water, drought-resistant plants/cuttings, your ideas.

I've noticed more and  more shop owners downtown planting little sidewalk gardens in soil surrounding trees. Good things are happening down here.

Cheers, peace, seeds.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 10:30:56 PM by quietearth » Logged
bulbil321
Troop

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 04:14:09 AM »

Hi!
What do you mean by "The idea is to start everything from cuttings gleaned from nearby community gardens"? are you planning on stealing cuttings? or plants? from where?

Do you know if that pipe coming up from the ground has a top you can flip up to expose an open pipe?

bulbil321
Email:
bulbil321@socalguerrillagardening.org
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 04:17:27 AM by bulbil321 » Logged

quietearth
Troop

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 06:30:52 AM »

No stealing from community gardens! The folks I've talked to have big hearts and are cool with donating cuttings. If cuttings are done well, they don't damage the parent plant.

No flip top on the pipe(s). Looks like we'll need to take water with us.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 05:31:00 PM by quietearth » Logged
Greenhaus
USA GGs
Troop

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:54:34 AM »

k...I'm back!!! Sorry for the delayed response!!
I will try my hardest to attend, if work permits....because,  this is a GREAT spot!!!...
but, all those that have been writing me saying that they want to join the cause...should really
come...this spot could use some muscle but, above all LOVE!! 

Remember drought resistant is best, this site gets full sun!!
quietearth
Troop

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 06:34:29 PM »

Last night we planted the beginning of a beautiful garden in what had been an empty circle of sandy blighted soil. This morning I walked over to water cuttings, and saw a small group of birds perched on jade and rosemary plants. A man sat on the planter egde looking at the plants. Last night while we were digging and planting, two men from the SRO hotel across the street came up and thanked us for making the place look better, & caring enough to do it. One of the guys offered to water in the eveings... then about 45 minutes later a women walking her little tiny dog came smiling along, asking if we were guerrilla gardening. She'd heard about the Hollywood project and wants get involved downtown. Smiley It felt so good planting... food for the soul.

Thanks to Greenhaus for early support & encouragement.

I'll post again soon with the next planting date. And to anybody reading, it's really easy to get involved. You can water in the evenings or at night, and ALL ARE WELCOME for the planting events.

Peace out....
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:09:28 PM by quietearth » Logged
quietearth
Troop

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:45 PM »

Hey all,

Just a little update about the garden. We've had two plantings now, and our little garden is starting to look like it's here to stay. The rosemary sprang blue flowers, the spikey green pants are lush and bigger than ever...

I just returned from three weeks on the road traveling in northern Cali. My gg buds watered the whole time (Penelope and Casey rock!), and some groovin' anonymous soul added a kewl garden statue. Whoever you are, we luvs ya.

We'll have another planting within the next week or so, so check back soon for the date. Peace to all, and start rounding up San Pedro cactus, succulents, lavendar, and whatever other drout-resistant critters you can find.
rolypoly
Troop

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 07:05:13 PM »

Let me know if you want a place to post pictures/info/etc.

We'd love to include you on www.laguerrillagardening.org

Just want to help spread the word.

Email mr.stamen@laguerrillagardening.org if you're interested.

Congrats on the garden, can't wait to see it!

Roly Poly
quietearth
Troop

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »

Hey all, the next downtown gg planting is scheduled. Here's all the details:

Saturday September 20th, 9am
Corner of 3rd and Main
Downtown Los Angeles

What to bring:
A garden tool
A gallon or two of water
One or more drought-resistant plants (let's keep them 1 gallon size and under)
Compost if you can get it

PenPen will bring tools & jasmine
Quietearth will bring pick, shovel, creeping herbs and compost
Casewomyn will donate aloe vera

All are welcome, whether you bring things or not. Your two hands and positive vibes are what we really need.
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length