Seed Bomb for a drier climate??

• 3 replies
Seed Bomb for a drier climate??
« on: July 19, 2008, 01:55:45 PM »
I love the idea of the SEED BOMBS as outlined in the tips section of the main page.
http://www.guerrillagardening.org/ggtips.html

But what about our Australian environment? Drier climates in general?

I can't imagine that the english recipe would work here with native seeds and less rain.

Anyone out there with green thumbs who can advise me. No need to be an expert...any tips welcome!

Are there Aussie natives that might grow from seed in an at least mildly verdant fashion without too much water in the temperate Sydney region??

I think since they are destined for abandoned inner city building plots and such spaces we needed be too concerned about them over growing less robust plants...I think what would be best would be something like a 'weed'. Virulent...but native Smiley

Am I dreaming??

Do you think the clay is appropriate?

All suggestions and idle speculation welcome. I will carry out the experiments...you folk feed me with with potty notions to test out.

TALK TO ME GARDENERS!

Re: Seed Bomb for a drier climate??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Having never been to Australia my advice might be smoke but here goes...

When I'm looking for plants to start in marginal soil or growing conditions I do a native plant search and find road side weeds that are pretty and self seeding.  I'd stick to natives though.  Naturalized plants may do well but the consequences of introducing a non-native potentially invasive species aren't something I'm comfortable living with.

In every state I've lived in Chicory, almost any aster, daisy, yarrow, etc work well.  In dry climates in the states we have great sages and succulents but getting seeds for these may be the tricky part.  I LOVE the look of yucca in bloom. 

Good luck!

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:04:26 AM »
I love the idea of the SEED BOMBS as outlined in the tips section of the main page.
http://www.guerrillagardening.org/ggtips.html

Are there Aussie natives that might grow from seed in an at least mildly verdant fashion without too much water in the temperate Sydney region??

I'd try lilli-pillis. A lot of councils are actually starting to grow them as ornamentals in public places, little realising they're supplying food-plants. I once suggested to a council worker tehy plant macadamia trees rather than the banksia species they were actually planting, because the two trees both had similar requirements, habits nad looks, but one supplied food and hte other didn't.

In fact, I've been doing reverse-guerilla-gardening for decades: eating lilli-pillis off public trees and eating so-called ornamental chillis off plants in people's front gardens that come too close to a property line. Making use of food that would otherwise fall and rot <sigh>.

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 01:59:55 PM »
Instead of clay seed bombs, you might try the water balloon method of seed bombing (or see if anyone else on the Forum who lives in a dry climate can recommend it). I've seen it in a video but not tried it myself, so I'm not sure exactly what the "recipe" is, but apparently you use a funnel to put seeds in a balloon and then use a water bottle or something similar to fill the balloon with liquid fertilizer (or water and fertilizer). It's best, of course, if you are in a position to retrieve the balloon litter afterward.
GenkiTango 375