NOMINATE LOCATIONS IN NEED OF GUERRILLA ACTION

• 6 replies
NOMINATE LOCATIONS IN NEED OF GUERRILLA ACTION
« on: September 19, 2006, 08:21:07 AM »
Most of Manhattan is pretty manicured but outside the US Passport Office on Varrick are a load of uncared for concrete tubs.  Definitely an opportunity for a guerrilla.

Re: NOMINATE LOCATIONS IN NEED OF GUERRILLA ACTION
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 01:33:27 PM »
There's a K-shaped lot where the Q/B crosses the grid here between Woodruff and Crooke Aves:

http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/?address=100+Crooke+Ave,+Brooklyn,+NY+11226,+USA

It's a big space, and a big project could go on there.  It's surrounded by fence, but the fence might (?) be slipped through.  Certainly the local kids do.

Anyone interested?  I'm not too far away, so I might be able to organize something.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 05:21:09 PM »
Hi,
Just registered today. Would love to get together with some people in brooklyn and do some gardening. I'm mainly interested in putting in some vegetables and creating some urban guerrilla farms for the community. I live in Bay Ridge and most of Brooklyn works for me.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 12:20:29 PM »
just joined today.  live in brooklyn, whose doing guerilla gardening here?  i wanna help.

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 02:44:40 PM »
Hi, I just joined and Would be glad to help out in Brooklyn or Manhattan.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
Please help with abandoned lot on Schermerhorn between Bond and Nevins!  The rats are the only things growing there.  It is the perfect spot for some TLC!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 08:08:03 PM »
Almost the entire bronx.

I'm in the south and there is so much poverty (environmental as well as financial) and urban desolation here that you can't believe it. Five foot weeds lurch up from cracks in the sidewalks in many places. There are 5 completely fallow vacant lots within two blocks of me. Within ten blocks there are a metric ton of abandoned planters and tree pits. Even the beautiful little public library is completely besieged.

My favorite is actually an abandoned gas station near the third avenue bridge. The weeds that have already started sneaking in are huge and lush and dense. I have fantasies about making that lot a big community garden, but it's very visible and it's a huge job- you'd need to truck in an awful lot of soil. It would be worth it just to train some flowering vines up around the unused pumps :)

If you are looking for a project of any size, get off the 6 train at 138th and third and walk three blocks in any direction.