South San Jose Guerilla gardening

• 8 replies
South San Jose Guerilla gardening
« on: July 05, 2008, 05:04:36 PM »
So I am wanting to start some Guerrilla Gardening in South San jose.  We are a neighborhood that is 29 years old and have been fighting the city for the last 10 to get some plants trees anything but barren land in our median strip and our entry ways.    They added us into the SNI (safe neighborhood initiative) and one thing in our Top 10 list of things we wanted were trees in the median strip and some beautification.  We've just been told that they will help us only if we match the Cities funding (we are a medium income neighborhood, we can't come up with a million dollars)   Anyone out there willing to help us?  I need to know what drought resistant plants and trees are best as we would have to water ourselves.   I've attached some pictures for you to see.  The barren land goes on for about 1.5 miles.  :o  Thanks for any help you can give us.

~kabob

Re: South San Jose Guerilla gardening
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:01:30 PM »
Yah, Monterey Highway is a really, really ugly road.  Unfortunately, I moved from SSJ to Campbell in November so it's a bit far with gas at at least $4.50/gallon. 

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 05:37:49 AM »
Lets do it. With or without their help. We can either fund raise, maybe sell little potted plants or start some veggie gardens and sell our crops or we could just do it in pieces. Does ssj already have some unified guerilla gardening going? or maybe we could get a crew together for support? I personally live in Campbell, and I am mindful of how much gas costs, but I ride my bike or take public transportation where ever I  go and generally I can get where ever I need to. South San Jose included. If we can't match the city we can just do our own individual projects. A little gardening is better than nothing.

Ewen Brown

• Trench warfare is not for the true guerrilla
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »
Hi from Scotland, looking at the photo and that area looks awesome. I live near Glasgow but grow cacti and succulents in 2 greenhouses in my garden. I saw the photos of a dig in Long Beach and thought it would be superb if I could contribute plants to such digs. Unfortunately I'm just too far away to help. Please post some photos of anything you plant. I could send you Agave seedlings, have a number of different species grown from seed. Damn shame I'm not down the road as I'd be out diffing holes and planting succulents and all manor of desert plants lol.

Ciao Ewen
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 06:40:13 PM by Ewen Brown »

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:18:37 AM »
Glory is an anonymous  flower garden.

Here we are, " all one of us" , shameful. Let's meet somewhere before 2012, so we may depart with glory.

Write to me directly to set a time.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 11:11:45 PM »
Hi there!
I've just moved to San Jose from Campbell: near Oakridge. I'd love to help on the next outing. Let me know!!  There are plenty of areas here that are in need of seedling love.

Ciao!

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 06:53:07 PM »
@Kabob: I have some wildflower/CA poppy seeds and will be making seed bombs if you are still interested. I still have those daffodil bulbs BTW and they're looking lovely in my yard.  ;) The rain will stop soon... I do agree that some agaves would be pretty awesome around there. :)

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
Oh and you should really be more active on here ;)

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
You should bomb them with ca poppies. I know in my area they will take donations. Perhaps you could team up with some local gardening agencies that may donate the trees. Good Luck. I can help with planting and bombs if your interested.