Low maintenance, non-littering bird feeders.

• 2 replies

Caitlin

Low maintenance, non-littering bird feeders.
« on: July 03, 2008, 08:34:18 AM »
At the site I've been taking part in lately (Camden canal in the UK, London forum), we've noticed there are hardly any birds.

So we're going to hang some of those half coconut shells packed with fat and seed mixes for birds.

Originally I'd thought those little fat balls would be good but that would leave those plastic mesh holders to litter the place and possibly float into the canal and cause problems for the water birds and fish etc.

So I switched to the coconut shells. I have these at home and once the birds have cleaned them out, they make handy water bowls for them or you can put loose seeds in them.  Plus they're very cheap to buy.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:37:18 AM by Caitlin »

Re: Low maintenance, non-littering bird feeders.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:46:55 AM »
good idea -  you could also check out whether there are places where you could put up nesting boxes perhaps,  not just for birds, but also for wild bees and bumble bees...

Caitlin

Re: Low maintenance, non-littering bird feeders.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:00:16 AM »
good idea -  you could also check out whether there are places where you could put up nesting boxes perhaps,  not just for birds, but also for wild bees and bumble bees...

Yes good point.  Actually next time I'm going to try transplanting some of the blooming foxgloves from the pavement garden where I live.   That will hopefully bring some lovely bees in. The whitetails in my neighbourhood love them.

I also have two nestboxes in my garden that just haven't had any takers at all.  So they might do nicely. Great idea. Thanks.