How to mark Midsummer/Solstice ... ?

• 3 replies

Caitlin

How to mark Midsummer/Solstice ... ?
« on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:06 AM »
Hi

Since we have the Mayday sunflower planting extravaganza,   how are those of us in the northern hemisphere marking Midsummer?

Solstice is June 21st, this Saturday.

I'm going to plant some more sunflowers in the sunflower/poppy/foxglove patch outside my fence. And maybe try to find some thyme and violets and eglantine or something else fitting ...

"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows,
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night,
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight;
And there the snake throws her enamell'd skin,
Weed wide enough to wrap a fairy in"

from A Midsummer Night's Dream by that nice Will Shakespeare.

Anyone else got plans?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:14:31 AM by Caitlin »

Re: How to mark Midsummer/Solstice ... ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 08:19:21 PM »
Alas, too busy.

But isn't it far past the season to plant sunflowers? I thought you needed to plant those somewhere in april or may.

It's hard to find things that can be seeded late in the year is my experience; right before a hot summer (in my area..at least I think it might be a hot summer) is not the ideal time to plant either. But as long as there are cloudy days, some bushes/small trees should do well.

Caitlin

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:31 AM »
Where's your sense of adventure and "let's see?".   I've planted lots of things in summer and they've done fine.  Who makes up these rules anyway?    ::)

I'm happy to try things. It costs almost nothing and, like seedlings or seeds planted earlier, if they don't thrive, there's hardly anything wasted and possibly pleasure to be had in the process.  I'm ok with that.

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
You're quite right of course :)
That said, midsummer might be a nice time to plant some pre-grown fruiting shrubs, like berries.

Next year at least ;)